- A working Free Software JDK e.g.
- GCC including g++ and libgcj (version 4.3.0 or higher or any libgcj backport [with generics] of GNU Classpath >= 0.95) with JDK tree emulation (--enable-java-home) and Eclipse Java Compiler (ecj) 3.2.1 or later
- Earlier releases of IcedTea, usually provided by your distribution
- GNU make
- CUPS and headers (cups-devel)
- libX11 and headers (libX11-devel)
- Freetype2 and headers (freetype-devel)
- md5sum and sha256sum
- alsa and headers
- xalan and xerces (bootstrapping only)
- GLib and GTK+ for the Gtk+ look and feel
- Ant >= 1.6.5
- Automake 1.9
- libjpeg-devel >= 6b
For building the PulseAudio based mixer (--enable-pulse-java) , you will need pulseaudio-libs-devel >= 0.9.11 pulseaudio >= 0.9.11
Live checkouts of the OpenJDK (--enable-hg in IcedTea 1.8) require Mercurial >= 0.9.5 + forest extension. The standard build of both IcedTea6 and IcedTea now use zip files.
When using the zero assembler port (required by platforms other than x86, x86_64 and sparc), the following additional requirements apply:
- libffi >= 3.0
When using the Shark port, LLVM is required.
When using the systemtap tracing support (--enable-systemtap), the following additional requirement apply:
You also need to supply --with-abs-install-dir with the final installation directory, so the tapset/hotspot.stp file gets to current full absolute paths to the client and server libjvm.so libraries. e.g. --enable-systemtap --with-abs-install-dir=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk-22.214.171.124
./configure attempts to check for as many requirements as possible, and guess at some default locations; however we have not performed a comprehensive analysis to ensure that everything is checked. Please file an appropriate bug if something is not detected but should be.
- Firefox/XULrunner headers xul-runner-devel-unstable (for the plugin, must be >=1.9, optional)
- A version of NetBeans suitable for the version of VisualVM being built (see --with-visualvm-version)